Search This Blog

Monday, March 4, 2013

A LITTLE STUG

BRYCE ON MANAGEMENT

- A simple little word that means a lot, at least to me.

(Click for AUDIO VERSION)
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

On more than one occasion I have been complimented on my ability to get things done. As such, I am often asked my secret to success. I normally reply, "A little Stug," a rather simple expression requiring an explanation.

It's not that I am a technical genius. You must remember my background was in Communications, not Computer Science. True, I've been around computers a long time now, and have seen everything from mainframes to smart phones, but I think of myself more as a power user of the technology as opposed to a "techie." Over the last 30+ years, I have learned a thing or two about how computers behave, but more importantly, I have learned the general thinking process of the people who program them. This has given me a definite edge in terms of conquering technical problems. Too often it is easy to surrender to the technology. Instead, I tend to persevere until the problem is resolved. If the problem cannot be fixed, I endeavor to find a workaround. I'm very resourceful in this regards. Perseverance is key.

Over the years, in talks with programmers, I refused to accept things on face value and would stubbornly ask them "Why?" until the rationale was made clear to me. I have always found it dangerous to accept the status quo based on blind faith. I like to know where I am going as opposed to operating in the dark. Unfortunately, many people do not, particularly programmers.

In my office, I have a framed quote from President Calvin Coolidge who said:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

This quote greatly influenced my perspective on work, and to this day, I still believe it to be true. I have met a lot of brilliant and creative people over the years, but I have more respect for the person who simply knows how to get things done. Sometimes you've got to quit talking about an idea, make a decision and put your best foot forward, and "Get 'er done."

Oh yea, what does the word "Stug" mean and where does it come from? Actually, it was something my old high school football coach used to admonish us to do. Whenever we fell behind in a game or were physically hurting, my coach would tell us it was time for some "Stug," which happens to be "Guts" spelled backwards. Whenever he would yell from the sidelines for a little more "Stug," we would suck it up, refocus, and try even harder. Believe it or not, it worked. A little tenacity can go a long way, whether you are at work or at play.

So what's my secret to success? Just a little "Stug."

Keep the Faith!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2013 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

NEXT UP:  LIBERAL VS. CONSERVATIVE PERSONALITIES - Are liberals smarter or is it a matter of different wiring?

Listen to Tim on WJTN-AM (News Talk 1240) "The Town Square" with host John Siggins (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 12:30-3:00pm ET), and KGAB-AM 650 "The Morning Zone" with host Dave Chaffin (weekdays. 6:00-10:00am MST). Or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube.

Also look for Tim's postings in the Palm Harbor Patch, The Gentlemen's Association, and throughout the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment