Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2013

READING THE SIGNS

BRYCE ON COMMUNICATIONS

- There are some signs nobody seems to read.

(Click for AUDIO VERSION)
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

Comedian Jay Leno is well known for reviewing strange signs sent in by viewers on his "Tonight Show." I've recently seen a few that makes me scratch my head myself.

First, I was recently in the dry cleaners and saw a sign posted that read, "You must sign a release for us to iron rhinestone shirts." Not that I have any rhinestone shirts, but it struck me the sign was actually saying, "Can we have your permission to destroy your shirt?" I don't think I would want to leave my shirt with anyone who wasn't confident they could iron it properly.

Next, I went to a chili parlor recently. Posted on the door as you entered was a sign that read, "Use of cell phones will prohibit us from serving you." I guess someone other than myself was perturbed over the obnoxious use of cell phones. Nonetheless, I went in and sat up at the counter and ordered my meal. While I was waiting, I looked around and saw at least three patrons in the restaurant talking on their cell phones. Interestingly, the waitresses were serving them their meals without any problem. What's the point of posting a sign, if nobody is going to pay attention to it, including the people who posted it? Or do you think maybe the sign was a prank by some kids who posted the sign on the door?

And finally, I saw a sign outside of a hamburger stand that read, "Parking for Drive-Thru Service Only." I thought, "Gee, isn't that a oxymoron?"

I wish people would actually read the signs they are writing. It would probably make it a lot easier on the rest of us.

Keep the Faith!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2013 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

NEXT UP:  THE ART OF PATIENCE - An art that is difficult to master.

LAST TIME:  WHY ANTI-BIG BUSINESS? - Is it a crime to be successful?

Listen to Tim on WJTN-AM (News Talk 1240) "The Town Square" with host John Siggins (Mon, Wed, Fri, 12:30-3:00pm Eastern), KGAB-AM 650 "The Morning Zone" with host Dave Chaffin (weekdays, 6:00-10:00am Mountain), and KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, Washington "The Morning News" with hosts Lance Tormey & Brian Teegarden (weekdays. 6:00-9:00am Pacific). Or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube.

Also look for Tim's postings in the Palm Harbor Patch, The Gentlemen's Association, and throughout the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment