Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

PROVOCATION & THE OWS TAMPA

BRYCE ON POLITICS

- Tampa welcomes Occupy Wall Street to the RNC.

(Click for AUDIO VERSION)
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

The 2012 riot season officially opens today, aka "Occupy the Republican National Convention" here in Tampa, but before I go into this, let me preface my remarks by recounting a recent incident which happened to me on Facebook. As you probably know, I typically do not joust with my editorial antagonists. If they want to discuss things calmly and respectfully, I'm happy to oblige them, but this never seems to happen. Instead, they use venomous attack tactics in an attempt to provoke some form of response from me. I learned a long time ago to turn the other cheek but on one recent occasion, I was provoked into an argument where I eventually called my opponent a "clod." In hindsight, I am embarrassed by my slip and now understand what Rush Limbaugh went through when he had a slip of the tongue a few months back. Basically, we both lost our cool and lowered ourselves to the level of our opponents. The temptation was simply too great to overcome and we slipped, embarrassingly. I then realized my acid tongued adversary was capitalizing on my venue to try to discredit me. Consequently, I removed his comments and blocked him from further discourse.

The tactics of the left are simple: attack anything that moves. Attack even if your argument is irrational or baseless. Attack to generate attention from the main street media. Attack as a diversionary tactic; to distract the public from other more pertinent subjects. And attack to provoke a response from your opponents. Arguing with them is pointless as their minds are already on lockdown. By succumbing to their attacks and engaging them, you inevitably play by their rules and their objectives are met. It is therefore important the anticipated provocations of the Occupy the RNC be met with appropriate resistance. If the police can get them to respect the law, if the media gives them minimal coverage, and if we all simply ignore their convoluted protests, their impact will be defused. However, if the Occupiers clash with police or the local citizenry, and riots ensue, it could become extremely ugly.

There are already indications the Occupy RNC group's plans are designed to provoke a response. For example, their first march, entitled "March for our Lives" is scheduled for 3-5:30pm, just in time for the prime time news networks. According to their web site, "This is a March of the Homeless, the Poor, the Unemployed and Supporters to call for a STOP TO ALL FORECLOSURES, STOP THE CRIMINALIZATION OF THE POOR AND HOMELESS, HOUSING AND FOOD ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!!" Interestingly, they openly admit they do not have a permit to march, yet plan on proceeding anyway. Translation: a face-off with the police is in the offing. Later this evening, there will be a "Roving Radical Dance Party" which will undoubtedly represent mayhem in downtown Tampa. Downtown businesses are bracing for the worst.

The emphasis appears to be aimed at the Republicans, not the Democrats. Even though the Occupy Wall Street official web site claims protests are planned for both Tampa and Charlotte, it is obvious the GOP is being targeted as there is little on their web sites to describe the "March on the Democrats," as opposed to a ton of material aimed at the Republicans. One could conclude that despite their claims of neutrality, these self-proclaimed anarchists have become an organ of the Democratic Party. I find this particularly disturbing since it was the policies of the current administration that is causing a lot of their problems.

My only concern about the Occupiers protest in Tampa is that a "clod" will start a riot, begin looting stores, throw a Molotov cocktail, or pull the trigger on a gun. I honestly hope this doesn't happen but if it does, I know force will be met with force, both by the police and possibly by the citizenry. If the Occupiers start something, I am confident others will finish it. Frankly, I do not like sitting on a powder keg that could conceivably become the next "shot heard around the world."

Keep the Faith!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.





Copyright © 2012 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment