Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2022

TIM’S FIGHT WITH CANCER, PART IV

BRYCE ON LIFE

- My concluding entry.

Click for AUDIO VERSION.

To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

* In PART I - I discussed learning of my liver cancer and what went through my mind.

* In PART II - I described the first phase of my treatment.

* In PART III - I discussed the second round which was a turning point for me.

Now, in PART IV, I want to conclude the series and discuss where I stand and what I have learned.

As many of you know, I have been on a roller-coaster ride with my liver since last October; today marks six months which may not sound very long for treating cancer but it seemed like an eternity to me. I am not fully cured, but I have made remarkable progress. I underwent two procedures to kill two sizeable tumors, then began Immunotherapy representing a monthly drip to cause my immune system to attack the micro-tumors in the liver. I have taken several such treatments already this year. The fact is, I may never be 100% cured of cancer but things are shaping up nicely. However, I'll likely have to monitor it for the rest of my life.

My last operation was in January and I've been undergoing the Immunotherapy ever since. In late February, I underwent a CTscan to check on my progress. The doctor's office called and left a Voice Mail message informing me the results were good, but little else about my condition. I ended up playing "phone tag" with the doctor, but we never hooked up. I was beginning to worry about this, but assumed if the CTscan was bad, I would have received an urgent call from the doctor. Fortunately, I was right.

Finally, on March 10th, I sat down with the doctor and reviewed the results. First, he claimed I made great progress and I am actually getting better, but I still had a way to go on my road to recovery.

"Think of it this way Tim," he said, "Your liver was in a boxing match and got pretty beat up. It is now on the mend, but it still needs some time to heal before it climbs back into the ring."

For all intents and purposes, my two tumors are dead and the Immunotherapy has done its job in terms of arresting the micro-tumors. The CTscan showed some lesions on the liver from the operations, but the doctors were impressed on how well I responded to the treatment. As I said, I am certainly not cured, but I have made significant progress and hopefully, later this year, I can stop my monthly Immunotherapy drip.

Although this was all good news, the one tidbit that caught my attention was that I was now allowed an occasional glass of Scotch, something I haven't tasted in six months. Oh-la-la!

Because of my condition, this will be my last installment on this subject unless something Earth-shattering occurs. So, what did I learn from this? Am I any wiser? I would like to believe so. Here is what I learned:

LESSONS LEARNED

* Be sure to attend your primary care physician appointments and take pertinent tests. As for me, routine blood tests detected my problem. Fortunately, we caught it early.

* Take nothing for granted; life is precious and we should enjoy every day.

* Make sure your estate paperwork is in order. When was the last time you checked it? In my case, it was thirty years ago.

* Maintain a positive attitude. Now is not the time for depression or resignation. Contact your doctor if you have such negative feelings. I went into this mentally preparing myself like I did when I was a young man playing football, with determination and "stug" (as my old football coach said, "That's guts spelled backwards.") We used it as a code-word.

* Surround yourself with good people who can offer sound advice. I was fortunate to have two retired doctors who coached me accordingly. The support from my family and close friends was also invaluable. I was also fortunate to have a good medical team on my side, people I literally trusted with my life.

* Listen to your body and allow it to heal. The two procedures I underwent took the wind out of my sails. I would try to do some simple chores, but my body said, "No, you're going to sit down and rest!" Fortunately, I acquiesced.

* Prayer works - I experienced an avalanche of messages and e-mails from people all over the world praying for my recovery. This inspired me greatly. With so many pulling for you, it can motivate just about anyone. However, you must first believe!

Actually, I feel rather lucky. Sure, I wish I hadn't gotten sick in the first place, but to turn things around in six months is not too bad. In hindsight, having been a full-time caregiver for my wife and mother over five years was rather exhausting. When the last one passed, I think my body succumbed to the pressure and I slept hard afterwards. It was during this time when I believe the cancer took root. The point is, even though I took care of them, I wasn't taking care of myself. As we get older, it is necessary for us to pace ourselves and know our limitations.

Finally, God bless all of you fighting this horrible disease, and all of you who support them.

Keep the Faith!

P.S. - For a listing of my books, click HERE.

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is an author, freelance writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 40 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb1557@gmail.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2022 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

Listen to Tim on Spotify, WZIG-FM (104.1) in Palm Harbor,FL; SVA RADIO - "Senior Voice America", the leading newspaper for active mature adults; or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube. Click for TIM'S LIBRARY OF AUDIO CLIPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment