Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

THE AGONY OF FORGETTING SOMETHING

BRYCE ON LIFE

- It's the little things that will drive you crazy.

Click for AUDIO VERSION.

To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

As I grow older I find I am starting to forget things in my daily walk through life. They're mostly small things, but they certainly get under my skin. For example, I keep a small notepad in the kitchen to record things I need to pick up at the supermarket; you know, milk, eggs, bread, etc. I dutifully take the list with me to the store. As I browse the aisles, I also keep my eyes open for other items I might need. In other words, I do not rush through the store. Nevertheless, no sooner as I get home and unload the groceries, I discover there are a couple of items I have somehow forgotten. This drives me bonkers and I inevitably return to the store afterwards to pick up the missing items. The ladies at the register in the checkout lines know me well and often kid me, "See you tomorrow," as I exit the first time.

Once I happened to forget my wallet, causing me to make a mad-dash home to get my billfold. Does this just happen to me or are others afflicted with this problem? I also have forgotten things at a hardware store, a favorite place for me to visit. I go there to get one item, become sidetracked by other things and totally forget the principal reason I went there, thereby forcing me to get back in my car and return. Oy!

In my case, I'm particularly confounded to forget something as my professional background was in the area of Information System design where I was intimate in building massive systems, involving thousands of pieces and parts, such as business processes, procedures, programs, modules, inputs, outputs, files, records, and data elements. To be successful in this field you can ill-afford to forget anything, regardless of its size.

I quickly learned if you forget something in systems or any other manufactured product, it will cost you dearly later down the road. Consequently we employed such techniques as architectural blueprints, Bill of Material Processing (BOMP), and Materials Resource Planning (MRP), all of which is used to record components and design decisions.

Today though, I worry about forgetting such simple things as a head of lettuce, laundry detergent, garbage bags, light bulbs, toiletries, napkins, and a variety of other things. As someone who was responsible for thousands of components, the thought of forgetting these mundane items is a source of madness.

To me, forgetting something at the store is on a par with losing your keys, garage door opener, the TV changer, or your phone, all of which can have an adverse effect on your personality. That simple nagging feeling you have forgotten something plays on your nerves. As you get older, it gets worse as you start to forget words, names, and birthdays. As an aside, women tend to remember birthdays and anniversaries better than men. In contrast, men can tell you the make, model and year of every car they've ever owned; women haven't a clue, nor could care less.

After many years of using state-of-the-art technology to track complexity, I am now left with nothing but a scratch pad and a lot of frustration. Maybe I should tie strings to my fingers to remind me. Then again, with my luck, I would cut off the circulation to my fingers causing nerve damage.

Again, is it only me who forgets such things?

Keep the Faith!

P.S. - For a listing of my books, click HERE.

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is an author, freelance writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 40 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb1557@gmail.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2021 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

Listen to Tim on Spotify, WZIG-FM (104.1) in Palm Harbor,FL; SVA RADIO - "Senior Voice America", the leading newspaper for active mature adults; or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube. Click for TIM'S LIBRARY OF AUDIO CLIPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment