Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY

BRYCE ON LIFE

- Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS).

Click for AUDIO VERSION.
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

Years ago, as my father transitioned into becoming a senior, he remarked that his mantra was now, "Simplify, Simplify!" He had traveled around the world, owned luxury cars, fancy boats, jewelry and clothes, but none of that mattered to him anymore. All he wanted was just to divest himself of those things causing him anxiety and just enjoy a simple life which included a good meal, drink, and conversation. Being known as a fighter in his chosen field of endeavor, we found this notion of his to be rather unusual and out of character. Interestingly, I find myself now embracing his mantra and look to simplify my life.

Like my father, I no longer impress easily. I have seen quite a bit of the world, met and worked with all kinds of clients and had an impact on my profession, both through the printed word and lectures. I now enjoy simple pleasures, such as a good cigar, a good drink, and good conversation. I don't need a big car anymore, just something that is easy to maintain, reliable, and gets good fuel efficiency. For entertainment, I still enjoy fly-fishing whenever I can sneak away. There are two other things I have done to simplify my life:

First, after 56 years I finally mowed my lawn for the last time. My aging riding mower recently broke down irreparably. I was so disheartened by this that I wanted to take my gun and shoot it in the engine, finally ending its misery. My choices are either to attempt to repair the mower (which would certainly be an expensive proposition), buy a new one, or turn the lawn care over to one of the Mexican contractors who mow lawns in the neighborhood. After much thought, I decided to habla Espanol, "Si, si, senor." I thought I would have second thoughts about doing this, but since making the decision I have felt a huge burden lifted from my shoulders. I will still go out and hedge and prune bushes and other activities, but the weekly grind of mowing and edging a lawn is finally over.

The second thing I did was resign from the Board of Directors of my Home Owners Association (HOA). Some of you may remember I made a vow to stop participating on nonprofit Board of Directors a few years ago. I broke that vow after our HOA raised our dues astronomically and I became its Secretary to help clean up the mess. Although I had no problem with the administration of the new Board, I was still not happy with how the finances were being accounted for and felt betrayed. Consequently, I resigned as opposed to being made party to what I considered a sham. I felt my time and reputation were more important than participating in a bumbling board of directors. So far, my instincts have proven correct.

Aside from these two items, I find I am now more inclined to throw something in the garbage than clutter my home with it. Whether it is something in the garage or in the house, I have developed a keen eye for the flotsam and jetsam that surrounds me. Everything else I try to keep in good working order, but simple.

As a result of all this, I find myself mentally and physically more at ease, which is what my father was originally driving at. By keeping it simple, I have less to worry about and can focus on other, more pleasurable, things. Now where did I put that fly-rod of mine?

Keep the Faith!

P.S. - Also, I have a NEW book, "Before You Vote: Know How Your Government Works", What American youth should know about government, available in Printed, PDF and eBook form. This is the perfect gift for youth!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is an author, freelance writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 40 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb1557@gmail.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2020 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

Listen to Tim on WZIG-FM (104.1) in Palm Harbor,FL; Or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube. Click for TIM'S LIBRARY OF AUDIO CLIPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment