Search This Blog

Friday, December 20, 2013

WHAT? ME RETIRE?

BRYCE ON RETIREMENT

- Not any time soon for me, if ever.

(Click for AUDIO VERSION)
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

When you listen to the commercials by financial planners on television, you get the impression life begins only after you retire. They claim, "It's now your time to enjoy life." From this perspective, one would assume everyone hates their job, and to continue working is madness. As I approach 60 people ask me when I'm going to retire. I am bewildered by such questions. What am I supposed to do, sit around and play golf 24/7? Not bloody likely.

When people proudly proclaim to me they have retired early, I send them my condolences. I guess I am one of those rare birds who happen to like what they do and cannot imagine doing anything else. I have an illustrator friend in Cincinnati that I've known since high school. We've discussed this issue many times. He cannot image not being able to perform his craft, and I cannot imagine not being able to write or offer advice in a consulting capacity. Retirement would be like chopping off both our hands. Both my friend and I would rather blow our brains out than surrender to retirement.

I can see slowing down a bit as the 5:00am wake up is getting a bit old, but I enjoy my work and cannot imagine life without it. I should mention that Bryces tend to work until we drop. I have never known a Bryce to willfully retire. It's not in our DNA I guess.

As I do some of my work at home early in the morning, people wonder why I shower and get dressed for business. It's called discipline. I may be a bit groggy early in the morning, but as I shower my mind is thinking about the coming day and what I have to accomplish. I know it might be a foreign concept to some, but my work stimulates me.

Many people do not feel this way though. I believe those people anxious for retirement generally do not like their job. Either that or they have squirreled away so much money, they are bound and determined to spend it all. Even if I had more money than I require, I would still need to feel productive. I've heard stories about people who hit the lottery, only to burn through the money and be destitute again. Even if I hit the lotto, you wouldn't find me on the golf links. Instead, I would probably breath a sign of relief, pop open a bottle of champagne, and go back to work.

I believe it is important we should all lead a worthy and meaningful life. We have to have purpose. As such, I firmly believe our professional life is an extension of our personal life. To my point of view, severing one from the other is very much a true amputation. This is why I say, "What? Me Retire?" No, don't look for me to play Mahjong until the Grim Reaper comes along. I've got things to do.

Keep the Faith!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2013 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

NEXT UP:  THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS - It is certainly not about the commercialization of the holiday, or Santa.

LAST TIME:  ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR...AND POLITICS - How the office of the president has been reshaped.


Listen to Tim on WJTN-AM (News Talk 1240) "The Town Square" with host John Siggins (Mon, Wed, Fri, 12:30-3:00pm Eastern), KGAB-AM 650 "The Morning Zone" with host Dave Chaffin (weekdays, 6:00-10:00am Mountain), and KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, Washington
"The Morning News" with hosts Dave Ettl & Lance Tormey (weekdays. 6:00-9:00am Pacific). Or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment