Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

SHOPPING AT MEN'S STORES

BRYCE ON MEN'S FASHIONS

- Women are very important in what you select.

Click for AUDIO VERSION.
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

I have been shopping for men's clothes for many years. Although I have my own tastes, I have always counted on the opinion of the women in my life, be it my mother years ago or my wife since I've been married. Both have good taste and I rely on their opinion. I even enjoy their company when I'm shopping for men's clothes.

Early in life, my mom worked at a men's shop in Buffalo (Riverside Men's Shop). This is where she learned the merchandise and how to judge quality. As to my wife, she always had a good sense in style. Both have picky tastes, thank God.

I find, with few exceptions, guys lack the fashion sense that women possess. I know I do not. A lot of guys want to go in like it is an Entebbe raid, get the merchandise, and retreat. They want to look good, but do not want to go through the hassle of trying on different coats and pants.

If you go with women, they are likely to put the brakes on some of your decisions. One of my favorite lines is, "You're not going to pay good money for that, are you?" Even though I may be halfway out the door, such a comment makes me stop dead in my tracks and think about what I was about to purchase.

I listen to the female opinion carefully as I know if I cannot pass their test, I won't be presentable to other people, particularly women. Since they know my conservative tastes, they know I will resist anything flamboyant and help me select something to cultivate a professional image. Frankly, I'm surprised men's stores do not cater to the woman as opposed to the man. Without the female's approval, nothing will be purchased.

I have always enjoyed visiting such stores, it is kind of like going to a good cigar shop or golf club for me, thereby making it an enjoyable experience. Sometimes, the salesmen can be rather pushy, which is a real turnoff, regardless of the price. Actually, I prefer female salesmen as they have a better sense of working with men and I value their opinion. Maybe men should work in the dress department as it would have a similar effect.

The most interesting suit I ever purchased was in Hong Kong years ago. I was connected with a tailor who made a suit for me in 24 hours. The trick was to come back for three fittings, which was awkward for me to make. However, I have to admit I enjoyed the final product which was made at a reasonable price. I wore that suit for years.

This brings up an important point, you know you have been successful at a men's store when the following three things happen:

1. You are proud of the suit you purchased and cannot wait to wear it to your next business or social function.

2. You do not feel cheated by the price, that you got your money's worth.

3. The women in your life are happy with your selection.

Just remember, clothes may make the man, but women "make" the clothes.

Keep the Faith!

P.S. - Also do not forget my new books, "How to Run a Nonprofit" and "Tim's Senior Moments", both available in Printed and eBook form.

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 40 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb1557@gmail.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2019 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

Listen to Tim on WZIG-FM (104.1) in Palm Harbor,FL; Or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube. Click for TIM'S LIBRARY OF AUDIO CLIPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment