Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2013

MY SUMMER VACATION

BRYCE ON LIFE

- And its effect on me mentally and physically.

(Click for AUDIO VERSION)
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.

I recently returned from my summer vacation. Normally, I take time off in July as it seems just about everyone in my neck of the woods ducks out of town, thereby turning neighborhoods into ghost towns. This time I was fortunate to slip away to North Carolina with some old high school buddies to do some fly-fishing. When we weren't in the cold streams, we were sitting on the front porch of my friend's cabin swapping lies and tying flies. It was most enjoyable. Following this, I went up to Ohio with my wife to visit my in-laws.

When I returned from my break, family and friends told me I looked different; more relaxed, less tense. Frankly, I was surprised by the observation as I didn't sense any difference in my appearance. Others did though, claiming my face seemed brighter and I generally looked better. Keeping this in mind, a local friend also returned from vacation and indeed, he too appeared to be more relaxed. I couldn't exactly put my finger on what was different about him, but there was something.

I always thought of vacations as a great way to shift gears mentally, change your perspective and refocus. I never thought it would also affect me physically, other than perhaps a little sun, food and exercise, but evidently it does.

When we are working, it is not uncommon to fall into a rut where we find ourselves performing the same tasks over and over again, not just during the work week, but on the weekends and after hours as well. Such routine can wear on the best of us which is why vacations are needed for attitude readjustment. In addition to enhancing the fertility of the mind, I find vacations help to change my disposition. I don't think of myself as intense but evidently I wear such a look on my face which a vacation helps to erase.

I tend to believe when we are on vacation we put our worries and concerns behind us or at least tuck them away temporarily in the recesses of our brains. They're still there but a vacation tends to divert our attention away from them. Friends, food, good conversation, and a change of scenery makes for an excellent tonic to change our demeanor. A good cigar and glass of Scotch doesn't hurt either.

Maybe the trick is to simply plan the next vacation right after you return from the last. At least you will have something to look forward to and maybe you'll look better simply knowing where you are going to next.
Sometimes you've just got to get out of Dodge.

Keep the Faith!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.

Copyright © 2013 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

NEXT UP:  TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT COMMON CORE - Next time you hear "Common Core" in a conversation; pay attention!

LAST TIME:  MORE GOBBLEDYGOOK - I hear America talking.

Listen to Tim on WJTN-AM (News Talk 1240) "The Town Square" with host John Siggins (Mon, Wed, Fri, 12:30-3:00pm Eastern), KGAB-AM 650 "The Morning Zone" with host Dave Chaffin (weekdays, 6:00-10:00am Mountain), and KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, Washington "The Morning News" with hosts Lance Tormey & Brian Teegarden (weekdays. 6:00-9:00am Pacific). Or tune-in to Tim's channel on YouTube.

Also look for Tim's postings in the Palm Harbor Patch, The Gentlemen's Association, and throughout the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment