Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

THE VILIFICATION OF THE TEA PARTY

BRYCE ON POLITICS

- How and why the term "Teabagger" is used.

(Click for AUDIO VERSION)
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.


Whenever I write a political column that is conservative in nature, I am often accused by my liberal readers of being a "filthy Teabagger." I have found this expression to be rather amusing. They might also compare me to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, FOX News, etc., all of which are designed to suggest we are fanatically evil and bent on distorting the truth. I have my own views on these entities which I have shared in my columns over the years, some things I like, some things I do not. However, I cannot dismiss them out of hand when I compare them to the liberal media who spins their own doctrine.
Although I am not a member of the Tea Party, I have met many of them over the last few years. Frankly, I have found them to be articulate in their concerns, and nothing more than conscientious citizens. Not once have I heard one of them utter a racial expletive, call for the assassination of anyone, or any other gruesome activity. They are simply unhappy with the course the country is taking. Their beliefs can be condensed into three simple points:

* That the government should abide by the U.S. Constitution, thereby guaranteeing our freedoms and liberty.

* That big government and over regulation inhibits business and, as such, should be reduced.

* That the government has a fiduciary responsibility to operate within its means, meaning to operate within a balanced budget.

There may be other minor considerations, but these three points represent their principal concerns. They also want their government representatives to subscribe to these rules and have been very instrumental in getting people elected who share their views. Further, they see government officials as servants of the people, not the other way around. Frankly, I have a difficult time refuting their arguments which is why I am occasionally accused of being a "filthy Teabagger."

I find this expression interesting as it is intended to vilify people thereby sabotaging their arguments. By their baseless accusations, liberals and the media have cleverly clouded the public's perception of the Tea Party, and turned "Teabagger" into a dirty icon resulting in a Pavlovian response.

Interestingly, the media teaches the public it is okay to ridicule, criticize and condemn the Right. Not surprising, attacking the Left is considered off-limits. As a small example, if the Republicans were in charge of the White House now, the press would unmercifully attack them for Benghazi, the Budget, the Economy, and the many gaffs of the Vice President. Needless to say, this hasn't happened. The hypocrisy of the media is overwhelming, yet the public seems unconcerned.

Whereas the Tea Party is unfairly vilified, the left has carte blanche to openly attack conservative candidates and celebrity supporters on social media using vicious discourse, e.g., Stacey Dash. Yet, the media never seems to take them to task over this. Again, hypocrisy in action.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with the word "Teabagger," but treat it more as a compliment as opposed to a condemnation. Maybe instead of being offended, we should simply say "Thank you." Being polite usually confuses the left. As an aside, I am actually quite "clean", which is more than what I can say about a lot of my liberal opponents.

Keep the Faith!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com

For Tim's columns, see:   timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.










Copyright © 2012 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment