Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

EARRINGS


Earrings have been used by people around the world for centuries. From what I can see, they serve two purposes: for appearances or to make a statement of some kind. I always liked the "mod" earrings worn by women of the late 1960's and I generally believe earrings on women enhance their beauty. However, I can't say I'm a big fan of multiple earrings, studs, or whatever is stapled to a single ear. To me, that borders on self-mutilation. I'm also not a big fan of other body piercings, particularly in the tongue and nose, but youth will have their day.

Aside from this, I think earrings are used to make more of a statement than anything else. Years ago, sailors wore earrings for different purposes, such as to indicate a global tour, a survivor of a sunken ship, etc. In the late 60's and 70's, the gays began to wear earrings on their right ear to designate their sexual preference, but I think this has changed in recent times. Whereas, it used to be "left is 'right' and right is 'wrong'", now I don't think it matters anymore. People will wear earrings any way they want.

Following the gays, rockers began to wear them, which was followed by athletes and celebrities. Now, it's more of an avant-garde call for attention than anything else. My favorite application though has to be the older bikers who dress up on the weekend with leather vests, head bandanas, chaps, western boots, and wear earrings to indicate they are still pirates at heart. This cracks me up to no end. Pirates? Hardly. They look more like rejects from the Village People. I guess some people need to escape into an illusionary world during their off hours.

Like anything else, everything is fine when used in moderation. It is when you take it to the sublime that it looks horrible and becomes annoying. I've seen a lot of strange earrings and piercings in my day, but I would have to say probably the most obnoxious I've ever seen is a woman who had a miniature cell phone implanted in her lower ear lobe as an earring.




Just when you think you have seen it all, somebody inevitably throws you a curve ball.

Such is my Pet Peeve of the Week.

Keep the Faith!

Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.

Tim Bryce is the Managing Director of M. Bryce & Associates (MBA) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com

For a listing of Tim's Pet Peeves, click HERE.

Download Tim's new eBook (PDF), "Bryce's Pet Peeve Anthology - Volume I" (free) DOWNLOAD).

Copyright © 2009 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment